What Is Low Code Development?
Low-code development is an approach to software development that speeds up app building while reducing the need to write code. Read on for a deeper explanation of what is low-code development and its key benefits.
Low-Code Development Explained
Unlike conventional software development that uses complex programming languages, low-code app development relies on a pre-built visual development platform. This platform provides users with drag-and-drop capabilities and other features that enable the creation of apps and other software. In other words, it frees them from the need to write all the code required.
Low-code development platforms typically provide developer tools within an integrated development environment (IDE). Equipped with these tools, developers can create software features much more quickly. They can combine pre-made components or build their own.
Depending on their complexity, low-code platforms may sometimes also be used by non-programmers. However, users often need at least some technical knowledge.
Automation plays a key role in low-code development. Developers can use specific tools and resources to automate and accelerate the software development process, from the initial stages of creation to updates and maintenance after launch.
Advantages of Low-Code Development
Low-code development brings benefits to both developers and their clients. Let’s take a closer look at the key benefits to understand what makes it so attractive for many developers.
- Automates repetitive tasks, allowing developers to focus on core tasks more.
- Speeds up the development process even for complex apps while keeping costs in check.
- Boosts productivity through reusable components.
- Simplifies development by allowing developers who are not experts in a particular programming language to take part in the app building process.
- Allows cross-functional teams to collaborate and make decisions more quickly.
- Helps release apps faster without compromising quality.
- Reduces development costs, which is possible as the low-code development platform reduces the workload for developers.
- Makes possible the development of apps in the cloud—these apps are easy to maintain and to scale without incurring heavy costs.
- Enables building software in-house by making the entire app development process simple enough for users without extensive programming experience to join in.
- Reduce dependency on maintaining very specialized IT teams which can be costly.
- Accelerates digital transformation by speeding up and simplifying the process of building web and mobile software.
What to Keep in Mind When Using Low-Code Development
Using low-code development effectively means being aware of its potential limitations. These limitations don’t necessarily apply to all usage cases or projects. But it’s best to watch out for them.
Risk of vendor lock-in – Not all low-code development platforms provide standardized code that you can use in different software development environments and adapt it to your needs. Some platforms generate code that limits you to their own platform and features. This can be a drawback when it comes to long-term projects.
Customization – Low-code visual development environments come with pre-built features. In some cases, these may limit customization options compared to writing the code from scratch. Some platforms offer more customization options than others and are less limiting.
Security – If access to low-code development tools is not carefully regulated, it may create security risks and lead to resource waste. Also, some low-code platforms may be inherently less secure by design than others, That’s why it’s important to compare them.
Is Low-Code Development for You?
Low-code software development is a fast and cost-effective way to build software across platforms. For developers and their teams, it can be a valuable tool that helps them get more work done faster. It’s also useful for prototyping apps and testing out ideas without incurring large costs.
The thing to remember is that some low-code development solutions are more advanced, more customizable, and safer than others. So long as you make an informed choice, low-code development can be an effective way to develop software faster, at a lower cost. It’s also a powerful way to digitize business processes without the burden of developing software solutions from scratch.
- APEX by Oracle – Oracle APEX is a low-code development platform that enables you to build scalable, secure enterprise apps, with world-class features, that can be deployed anywhere.
- AppSheet by Google – Build powerful mobile and desktop apps, customized to your business needs.
- Power Apps by Microsoft – Increase agility across your organization by rapidly building low-code apps that modernize processes and solve tough challenges.